SENIOR TECHNICAL WRITER (36-40 hrs)
(location: The Netherlands / Remotely)
INSTRKTIV is among the best in the world for clear, compliant and appealing user instructions.
We believe that after all the effort a company has made to develop and market a good product, the one thing they absolutely don’t want is for their customers to have a negative experience when they consult the user instructions.
Compliance with international legislation on user instructions provides our customers opportunities to expand their business and to keep growing. Our clear and compliant instructions dramatically reduce their liability and improve the safety of a product.
Are you keen to find out how users use a product, and how you can communicate that use in the best possible way? Do you like to work with an international team of experts, work for known brands and deal with innovative products? Are you looking for a new challenge, more freedom and personal growth?
Then we might be looking for you to join our growing team!
As our new senior technical writer, you will create and write user-friendly instructions for our international clients. You will be working with the other team members, manage your own projects, and be responsible for the final deliverable: a stunning & clear manual that makes users happy.
To give you an idea, your working week could look like this:
- Plan your week and create an overview of all projects;
- Have an online meeting with a client to discuss how the product works and define the requirements of the manual;
- Do a quality and legal check on the manual of one of your colleagues before it is sent to the client;
- Working with the other team members and managing the creation of a quick start guide or user manual (e.g. of a power tool);
- Write content for a full manual (e.g. for the latest charging station for electric cars;
- Visit a client to help them create a user manual (e.g. for their super yacht or breast cancer diagnostic device);
- Assess an existing manual of a customer on 82079 compliance;
- Setting up a content management system, creating sample projects, and migrating existing content.
Sounds great, doesn't it?
Our first principle for INSTRKTV Team members is that we want them to be tech-savvy and keen users of products and services. We don’t try to think like a user, as we are users ourselves. With a background in design, engineering, and law, we create a better user experience for our client's customers. Our diverse team offers the flexibility of thought and innovative solutions to accomplish this. This is part of our DNA and we have been working this way since we became a design agency.
Our team is fully location independent and we work in flexible workspaces. We meet online as much as possible. Our policy allows people to work flexible hours, as long as the work gets done without any diminishing returns.
Read this interview with one of our UX Designers / Technical writers: How I Use My Work to Live a Fulfilling Life and Travel the World. Or this one to get an idea of the customers we work for and projects we work on.
YOUR ROLE AS SENIOR TECHNICAL WRITER
If you join our team, your tasks and responsibilities will include, amongst others, understanding complex information requirements and translating them into clear, effective, good-looking, and compliant user instructions, collaborate with clients and other team members, and ensuring that we constantly achieve high expectations of ourselves and of our clients.
Ideally, you're experienced within the field of technical communication, or you have proven communication/writing skills with strong technical know-how. You have a hands-on approach and are looking for an opportunity to jump join an ambitious young company and grow together.
WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO:
- hold a BSc or MSc in a design and/or engineering-related subject.
- have 5 years of technical writing experience.
- be familiar with quality assessments and legal compliance of user documentation.
- be used to owning a process, making decisions, and taking responsibility.
- have an intuitive understanding of technology and UX.
- speak English fluently and preferably German or Dutch.
- be an innovative problem-solver and extremely curious.
- have high attention to detail.
- be familiar with CMS and structured authoring.
- be flexible, able to work together and independently.
- have a positive attitude and a sense of humor.
- a 36 - 40 hours/week contract.
- working in an inspiring environment and the possibility to work remotely.
- great flexibility, variety and freedom.
- working for international brands and on innovative ‘industrial design’ products.
- a competitive fixed salary.
- covered expenses.
- travel opportunities and working abroad.
- training and courses.
- career opportunities.
- setting up your own social or innovation project.
- the opportunity to grow together and make a difference.
We hope you recognize yourself in this role (and hope you got carried away with these perks). If so, send us an email with your motivational letter and resume to email@example.com.
Screenshot taken during our Tuesday morning meeting: Erwin (Bali), Karen (Capetown), Houssam, JP, Ferry and JOhn (Netherlands), Julia (Germany), Vadim (Slovenia).